POLO Magazine is upgrading, please feel free to log in as usual. Thank you for your patience with any inconvenience.

Welcome visitor you can log in or create an account

Embassy of the Kingdom of Morocco

 

St George's Club offers equestrian facilities for its members (civil and military) in Hurlingham, Buenos Aires, becoming a good alternative to enjoy recreational activities and outdoor sports.
In the early twentieth century, there were still general characteristics of the land on which they maneuvered and fought the troops who fought in the Battle of Caseros in the middle of last century.

At that time, the Hurlingham area known as North, now property of our Club, was the training ground for military exercises and units settled in Campo de Mayo and El Palomar. The Cavalry School, which depended on this place, began to use it as an ideal place for horse competitions. In this way, was built in the late 30's and early 1940, a 1,700 meters race track with a grandstand and 2 polo fields. In that space were developed until about 1953, runs "steeplechase" in thoroughbred racing and mestizos, who were participating in military and civilian riders. These tests were performed with hedges and fences of varying distances from 1,500 to 3,000 meters.
Also ran tests "Cross Country", other than those set for the Championship Horse Arms, long test set, where departing simultaneously from 10 to 18 riders to travel between 2,000 and 8,000 meters hurdles fixed overboard and passage of wetlands.
Additionally, former neighbor and settlement Hurlingham Club, encouraged further partnership of horse riders military civilians, many of them English and children's children.
The large space available and the flat terrain, were ideal for the development of equestrian activity and its proximity to the School of Cavalry and mounted units, facilitated the organization of events and logistical support.
In this context of increased activity came the vision of a club sport that fosters competition and therefore that the then Director of the School of Cavalry, Colonel Edward Devrient, along with a select group of leaders and the consensus of all officers, established in April 1950, the Military Club Riding and Polo "San Jorge", becoming part of the story Equestrian Army and the Nation. So, thanks to the initiative of these precursors and the invaluable support of the Directorate of Remount and Veterinary Commanders and hopefully support frames Weapon especially all the pictures and horse racing fans in general, gave birth to the Club and has been sustained over time, making it transcend the equestrian activity at the national and international levels.
The first Steering Committee were as follows:
Chairman: Colonel Edward Devrient.
Vice Chair: Mayor Juan Carlos Ongania.
Secretary: Captain Rolando Gutierrez
Treasurer: Francisco Mayor Carrere
Protesorero: Lt. Joseph R. Zone
Polo teams and riders representing the institution, participating in Polo tournaments and jumping, organized by the Asociación Argentina de Polo Equestrian Federation and Argentina respectively, with a particular style, brightness and efficiency, making invaluable and successful performances, for personal prestige, the Club and the Army institution.
The cup "Springbok" introduced in 1936 and contested annually between teams of civilian and military partnership uniquely particularized and camaraderie fueled by the same sportsmanship.
The name St. George's Equestrian Club Military responds to the origin and characteristics of their founders and active, due to the same military status and to be St. George the Patron Saint of the Cavalry. But his character is not exclusive. The Club has always been open to competition and players and support military families, who attended and they concur in search of an honest and healthy social integration through sport and recreation.
They played in their fields, polo players to be proud to sport since its inception in our land. It is in this concept, highlighting the party organized by the Club in 1967, during the official visit of Prince Philip of Edinburgh. At that meeting was formed two teams, playing with his Highness the Prince of Edinburgh, among other renowned players, Mr. Alfredo Harriot and the President's Office, Lieutenant General Juan Carlos Ongania. Trophy donated by His Highness, resulted in the annual Open San Jorge, which bears his name and is played between teams of civilian and military, constituted by resolution of the Asociación Argentina de Polo, the annual opening of the season the high goal tournaments national pole.
This brief summary of the history of the Equestrian Club Militar San Jorge, which is amalgamated with the history of the Republic, the Argentine Army and national equestrian activities, is a compilation of the writings of Mr. Brigadier General Don Mario H. Laprida and Mr. Colonel Don Pedro Mercado and Don Florentino Diaz Loza.
For them, for they are and preceded this action and for those who spent their fierce rumbling gallop leaving this land, our deepest and sincere thanks.

Combate de Pavón 1695

0 Hurlingham, Argentina

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Foto Tribuna

Historia

 

 

 

JUEGOS DEPORTIVOS PANAMERICANOS 1951
Equipo campeón: Juan Cavanagh, Roberto Cavanagh, Enrique Alberdi, Juan Carlos Alberdi, Reyes Carrere y E. Lalor

 

 

El Club San Jorge dispone de instalaciones hípicas para sus asociados (civiles y militares) en Hurlingham, Buenos Aires, constituyendosé en una buena alternativa para disfrutar de actividades recreativas y deportivas al aire libre.

En los albores del siglo XX, aún existían las características generales del terreno en el que habían maniobrado y combatido las tropas que se enfrentaron en la Batalla de Caseros a mediados del siglo anterior.
En ese entonces, el espacio conocido como Hurlingham Norte, actual predio de nuestro Club, constituyó el campo de instrucción y de ejercicios militares de las unidades asentadas en Campo de Mayo y El Palomar.
La Escuela de Caballería, de la cual dependía dicho lugar, comenzó a utilizarlo como un espacio ideal para competencias hípicas. De esta manera, se construyó a fines de la década del 30 y principios del año 1940, un hipódromo de 1.700 metros con una tribuna y 2 canchas de polo.
En ese espacio, se desarrollaron aproximadamente hasta el año 1953, carreras “steeplechase” con caballos pura sangre de carrera y mestizos, en las cuales participaban jinetes civiles y militares. Estas pruebas se realizaban con vallas de setos y con distancias variables de 1.500 a 3.000 metros.
También se corrían pruebas “Cross Country”, diferentes a las establecidas para el Campeonato del Caballo de Armas, largándose pruebas de conjunto, donde partían simultáneamente de 10 a 18 jinetes, para recorrer entre 2.000 y 8.000 metros, con vallas fijas, caídas al agua y pasaje de bañados.
Complementariamente, el anterior y vecino asentamiento del Club Hurlingham, incentivó aún más, la coparticipación de jinetes militares con jinetes civiles, muchos de ellos, ingleses e hijos de éstos.
El amplio espacio disponible y la planicie del terreno, eran ideales para el desarrollo de la actividad hípica y su proximidad a la Escuela de Caballería y unidades montadas, facilitaban la organización de eventos y el apoyo logístico necesario.
En este marco de creciente actividad, surgió la visión de un club que fomentara la competencia deportiva y es por ello, que el entonces Director de la Escuela de Caballería, Coronel Eduardo Devrient, junto con un selecto grupo de jefes y con el consenso de todos los oficiales, creó en abril del año 1950, el Club Militar de Equitación y Polo “San Jorge”, constituyéndose en parte de la historia ecuestre del Ejército y de la Nación. Así, gracias a la iniciativa de esos precursores y al sostén invalorable de la Dirección de Remonta y Veterinaria, sus Comandantes y el esperanzado apoyo de los cuadros del Arma en especial y de todos los cuadros amantes del hipismo en general, dio a luz el Club y ha logrado mantenerse a través del tiempo, haciendo trascender la actividad hípica en el ámbito nacional e internacional.
La primer Comisión Directiva quedó constituida de esta manera:
Presidente: Coronel Eduardo Devrient.
Vicepresidente: Mayor Juan Carlos Onganía.
Secretario: Capitán Rolando Gutierrez
Tesorero: Mayor Francisco Carrere
Protesorero: Teniente José R. Zone
Equipos de polo y jinetes representativos de la Institución, han participado en Torneos de Polo y Concursos de Salto, organizados por la Asociación Argentina de Polo y Federación Ecuestre Argentina respectivamente, con particular estilo, brillo y eficiencia, logrando invalorables y exitosas actuaciones, para su prestigio personal, el del Club y el de la Institución Ejército.
La copa “Springbok”, instaurada en el año 1936 y disputada anualmente entre equipos conformados por civiles y militares, particulariza singularmente la coparticipación y camaradería impulsada por un mismo espíritu deportivo.
La denominación Club Hípico Militar San Jorge responde al origen y características de sus socios fundadores y activos, en razón al estado militar de los mismos y a ser San Jorge el Santo Patrono del Arma de Caballería. Pero su carácter no es excluyente. El Club siempre estuvo abierto al concurso y apoyo de jugadores y familias no castrenses, que concurrían y concurren en busca de una sana y honesta integración social a través de la actividad deportiva y el esparcimiento.
Jugaron en sus canchas, polistas que enorgullecieron al deporte desde su inicio en nuestras tierras. Cabe, en este concepto, destacar al partido organizado por el Club en el año 1967, con motivo de la visita oficial al país del Príncipe Felipe de Edimburgo. Para ese encuentro se constituyeron dos equipos, jugando con su Alteza el Príncipe de Edimburgo, entre otros jugadores de reconocido prestigio, el señor Alfredo Harriot y el Presidente de la Nación, Teniente General Juan Carlos Onganía. El Trofeo donado por Su Alteza, dio lugar a la organización anual del Abierto de San Jorge, que lleva su nombre y se disputa entre equipos integrados por civiles y militares, constituyendo por resolución de la Asociación Argentina de Polo, la apertura anual de la temporada de los torneos de alto handicap del polo nacional.
Esta breve síntesis de la historia del Club Hípico Militar San Jorge, que se amalgama con la Historia de la República, del Ejército Argentino y de las actividades ecuestres nacionales, es un compilado de los escritos del señor General de Brigada Don Mario H. Laprida y de los señores Coroneles Don Pedro Mercado y Don Florentino Díaz Loza.
Para ellos, para los que están y precedieron la presente acción y para los que pasaron dejando retumbar su bravío galope en estas tierras, nuestro más sentido y sincero agradecimiento

 

 

Copa Embajada del Reino de Marruecos - marzo 2011